Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Wedding Day Part Two

Teresa wasn't coming out of her apartment! Had she changed her mind?!? After she threw stuff at me last night and I still agreed to marry her was SHE going to dump ME now!! I started breathing heavily and thought you know this might all be for the best. Anytime I get in a bad spot I go back to Romans 8:28 in the Bible. I truly believe that all things even hard things benefit us in some way. It is how I keep my sanity, but anyway I was about to either blow the horn or turn around and go home I hadn't decided when Teresa came rushing out. She was as white as a ghost. The car ride was a sign of things to come silent and awkward! We of course both wanted a church wedding more than anything but because of Teresa's parents being so against us we didn't dare try and have one. We decided we would go to the courthouse and be married by the County Judge. Actually Teresa decided this which was another sign of things to come. The only family I had there was my cousin Kathy who worked at the time downtown close to the courthouse and a lady she worked with named Carol. That was it just the two needed witnesses.Afterward Kathy took a picture of Teresa that haunts me to this day even though I have no wedding pictures I can not erase it from my mind. It is a picture of Teresa sitting on a bench with a look on her face of sheer well the best way to describe it is terror, agony and disgust all wrapped up in one. That picture will always symbolize for me the turmoil she was facing for marrying a man she didn't love. Let me explain this to you. Teresa and I belonged to the Church of God of Prophecy. The little one room church where I was saved was of that denomination and so was the church where I met Teresa and she had grown up in that church. They were a very strict pentecostal church with two big hang ups or No No's or whatever you want to call it. 1. No Jewelry (Teresa's mother cried when her son had a ring for his wedding she thought they would go to Hell for it) (no joke!) and 2 even more serious was No Divorce this was the cardinal sin!! The blasphemy sin I call it. To give you an idea of the seriousness of it once when I was attending Tateville and we had no Pastor the lady that was seeing over things went to visit her son in Arizona and as the only other tithe payer at the time she put me in charge of the church I was given strict orders I could allow anyone anyone at all in the pulpit except someone who was divorced!! That's right a murderer could be forgiven and fit to preach, a rapist, even a child molester but not someone divorced!! Stupid? I agree they have since changed their teachings, but that's not the point I only told you this to let you know how strongly Teresa believed divorce was wrong.So you see, seeing that picture just confirms what I have suspected all along Teresa by marrying me was doing something that she believed could and probably would affect her entire eternity. When I think back on it our wedding day was so stupid! Would you believe the first thing we did was..........

No comments:

Post a Comment