Saturday, May 1, 2010

My Famous Fried Chicken Story!

O.K. folks, here it is my famous fried chicken story, not long after Teresa moved out she wanted to fix Dinner for me one Friday night, an idea that both shocked and amazed me for several reasons. One that she cared that much, two that she had even thought of it as a nice gesture and three that it was cooking Teresa had never cooked anything in her life to that point. Oh wait before I get to deep in the story I should point out that by the end of our marriage Teresa had turned into a wonderful cook (that is when you could get her to). Anyways I arrived at the apartment and was told not to lift a finger just kindly wait in the living room and she would take care of everything. This attitude was so unlike Teresa and so refreshing that I would've walked across hot coals if she had asked me. She had aid earlier that she would have it ready when I got there at 7 so I figured I wouldn't have to wait long, but after 45 minutes and several are you o.k. in theres finally Teresa said ever so sheepishly "can you come here a minute?" I got up knowing there was trouble but I was ready for anything. I went in the kitchen and up to the stove cautiously. Teresa raised the lid off the skillet and said "what's wrong with this"? I looked and couldn't believe what I saw........

Oh how I wish I could do a cliffhanger here!

Teresa had put a whole chicken right out of the package in the skillet. She didn't cut it up, she didn't bread it,she hadn't thawed it why she hadn't even put any grease in the skillet. I couldn't believe it, but I knew I had to tread lightly here one wrong word and that hot skillet would undoubtedly find itself upside my head. So I just said oh that's ok I didn't really want fried chicken anyway let me take you out like you deserve for a nice steak dinner. She never knew but it meant so much to me she had at least made the effort. I didn't care what the outcome was I had worked in restaurants enough to know how to cook anyway. This is one of the very few times Teresa has ever shown any sign that she cared. So while it is amusing it is also very precious to me,but my Lord you should've seen that poor bird!

There were only two other gestures that really stood out to me and one of those was she just let me buy a Lincoln I really wanted (which she later used as a reason for our divorce she said I traded cars too often) The other was she dedicated this song to me. I tell you it is really extremely appropriate and it has meant more to me than anything else Teresa ever did except of course give me Natalie.

No comments:

Post a Comment