Saturday, May 22, 2010

The EnGAGement

O.K. I know it's a old joke that the word gag is in engagement, but in this case it is exactly right. The next few months were horrible for both Teresa and me. Now that it was official both our mothers were really well themselves. Both thought that if they protested, nagged, bossed and demanded enough that we would fold and finally give in. Now of course I can't speak for Teresa but for me that just added fuel to the fire. I know that this is stupid, but it was just like my first new car story, anytime that woman told me not to do something, or that I couldn't do something it just made me that much more determined to do it. So for me this was really nothing new just maybe a little more intense. Now for Teresa a person who had never defied her mother this was a big deal a very big deal. Still I have to say through it all she stood her ground and I know that it was probably one of the hardest thins she had ever done in her life.
Now both Teresa and I wanted to find a house to buy before we got married and because I had filed recently for bankruptcy it would have to be at east initially in her name only, which I did not like that idea obviously but there was no way around it and I justified it to myself by saying the bankruptcy was in a way her fault because I had followed her advice. At least that is the way I justified it to myself. But I had said deep in my heart that if it truly was God's intention for us to be married we would be able to find a home we could afford that was nice and one Teresa would approve of, which was going to be like a miracle on a 44,000 budget, but if we were meant to be together it would all work out. So having a background in real estate I went on a search. Let me tell you I searched our entire county over for weeks on weeks and nothing even close to what Teresa would approve of or I would want even remotely showed itself. I never will forget being in total and utter despair thinking that this woman of my dreams was not in God's plan for my life because he had not provided a home for us. I pulled into a parking lot on my way home and I began to call out to God and remind him of his word. I felt some relief as I pulled out, I couldn't believe what happened next!

No comments:

Post a Comment